Sunday, October 26, 2008

Update on us freinds and family

It has been awhile since we wrote and we have been busy with appointments and company. Karen's parents have been here for a week from Montreal. Robbie has been so happy, he hasn't seen them in over a year. His strong bond with his Grandfather, that begin at birth, has not been broken by the miles. They were always playing and cuddling. They leave today and he will be sad.
My dear friends more Montreal have been found not guilty of the child abuse charges. They had 4 professionals on their side. Their adoption of their son will not be stalled and will happen on time next month. That was the good news. The bad news is they feel like they can't trust anyone anymore. Worse of all they think the complaint came from a member of their own family. The therapist that works with their son, said they may get another complaint, because people don't always understand special needs children's behaviour (their son is being investigated for Fetal Alcohol syndrome).
Also, Karen's cousin had her baby at a little less than 26 weeks, a week ago. The little guy is making great strides, but he only weighs a pound. He is in our thoughts and prayers.
Robbie's assessment came back and his small motor and visual motor skills are considered only 34 months he is (4 and half or 54 months). And his sensory issues are getting worse. Every where else he is on target. We have an Occupational Therapist who is working with him weekly. So, we hope he will be caught up by kindergarten.
We are also working on Robbie's transfer for kindergarten. We feel our neighborhood school is wrong because it has a middle school. With having 2 Mom's I prefer he be in an elementary school environment. Being in the school system I know all that homophobic stuff starts in middle school. Robbie should not have to worry about that. So, I found a small elementary school across town, the kindergarten teacher enjoys working with boys with social problems and is pro gay families. So, I have my fingers crossed!
We started our training yesterday. Yesterday, was one of 2 all day sessions, along with 5 night sessions. I don't mind the night ones. I don't like the all day ones, I hate missing a whole day with Robbie. And to be honest I am not comfortable with how much they are building the birth parent up, it seemed to be the focus of the first session. I know depending on the child's age and circumstances they may have contact. We do not plan on taking a child with birth parent visits. And we want a much younger child, not a preteen or teen. This would work best for us and our family. I find it hard this discussion. I never knew my birth Mom until I was an adult. And the time I spent with her was damaging to be and my soul. She pulled me down and I decided to cut her off. After all she did give me life, but that's it. How long to you owe someone for that. I am glad she wasn't in my life as a child. She was a child herself. I don't thing she could contribute anything to my life, only bad examples and confusion. I won't even talk about my birth father (whose only contribution to her pregnancy was unplanned sex), Let just say he is in jail and the world is safe. I also, did not like to think of myself as adopted, my family was my family, I just came to it in a different way than my friends. I think today if a child is put up for adoption under the age of 5 and the parent is not fit and reunification is not possible, a break should be made. How confusing is it to be pulled between two families? I know the department disagrees with and have their stats to prove it. But, we all do not fit neatly on charts.

2 comments:

bleu said...

Wow, I am sooooooooo happy about your Montreal friends. That is just so rough.

I am also so happy about your training being underway. Very exciting even if there is some parts that are a pain.

Anonymous said...

I've missed hearing what you have been up to! Glad everything is going well... it sounds like life is happily chugging along. Its great that you have already begun the adoption training. I hope the process is short and sweet and that your family is not far from growing once again...