Monday, December 12, 2005

I'm cutting back

I have not posted in awhile. And it is because last week I discovered I have a problem. I am addicted to blogs, and internet groups. Recently there has been a lot of drama going on my internet groups and some spilling over to people's blogs. And not only have I found myself getting involved in this, stating my thoughts and opinions on whatever controversy is at hand, I was thinking about it a lot, signing on the internet multiple times a day; when Robbie is napping and as soon as he went to sleep & first thing in the morning. I was thinking about it and talking about it with my real friends when not online. Then all of sudden I was actually feeling hurt and disillusioned by one debate, it hit a little close to home. At this point I sat down and said to myself, why am I so embroiled and invested in the lives of faceless strangers. I have real friends. I could really use my spare time to make phone calls to them and catch-up. I have made a handful of good online friends and I am glad. But, these online friends should not be my existence, I feel it is time to go back to my own life and be fully present in it.
Now, I am not going cold turkey. I am not quitting groups or stopping blogging and I am still reading blogs. I am just cutting back. So, I will not blog as often, or post as often. But, I am still here. I am just busy reassessing my life and trying to be a better real life friend, partner and Mommy.

2 comments:

Casey said...

I applaud and admire your decision! It's so easy to get caught up in all of the on-line drama and neglect what's really important - your life! I'm right there with you....I need to scale back and not get so vested in on-line stuff.

Enjoy your extra free time!

Estelle said...

I'll miss you!
I have been woefully absent the past week... and now find myself trying to play catch up... and wondering why the heck I care? can't I just pick up where I left off?
I am trying to pick up after my slump last week... but I totally agree that sometimes it is too easy to get wrapped up in it all