Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Will I ever sleep again?

My son is a horrible sleeper. Sometimes, I wonder how he keeps going all day long, with such little sleep. Last night he went to bed at 10 was up every hour for 12:00 on and then every 15-30 mins from 5:30 on and was up for the day at 7am. The other night he was up from 2:30 on every 10-15 minutes, if he did not have a boob in his mouth or me rubbing his back he was up. He is hard to get to sleep at night and hard to keep asleep. The only time he sleeps well is nap and if you do not let him nap or wake him up from nap, he is a bear. The hardest part is I do 80% of this sleep work by myself. Karen maybe rubs his back twice during the night, and of course she can't nurse. And if she helps I have to deal with her complaining about how tired she is and how tired her arm is. And then Robbie also has a cow, know Mom can not get him to sleep, it has to be Mommy. He screams bloody blue murder when she rubs him. I swear they have a conspiracy against me. Then every morning goes something like this: Karen says. : God, I rubbed his back twice for over a half hour each time (really means 10 minutes), I am so tired". I say "I know Karen, I was up with him about 8 times". Karen says "God, Catherine you don't have to make it a contest, I lost sleep too". ARGH! ARGH! ARGH! Sometimes I do not wake her up because it is not worth the hassle they both give me.
Before he came I slept 7-8 hours a night and 10 hours a night on the weekend. I am not asking for that. I would not know what to do with 10 hours. If he slept 10 hours I would probably be checking his breathing. I know since we co-sleep and nurse that is unrealistic. But, to wake up twice during the night that would be heaven. I hope that is somewhere in my future. For now, I will have to take solace in my extra large coffee I pick-up on the way to work.

2 comments:

Casey said...

I feel your pain! D can't do anything for the princss as she refuses to take a bottle and/or be comforted by anyone but me. It makes for some seriously long nights and hard to deal with days.

Just last night I was up with her no less than 5 times (I tend to lose count) while D slept peacefully all night long.

Must be nice.

Estelle said...

Last night was the first night I was able to really be up with Charlie. Normally I get up with him and he just screams bloody murder for mommy. Then she touches him and all is right with the world again. Last night he screamed like he was dying no matter who he was with, so it might as well be me. I was glad she got to sleep some.
I feel for you. I hate that Jean has to be up with Charlie so often, but there is nothing I can do. I hate that Karen won't or can't help you. Hopefully you sleep better soon!